Parish Mission Statement
To proclaim by word and witness the Good News of God in Christ, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Centered in the Eucharist, we strive to serve Christ in all persons through prayer, religious education, worship, Christian fellowship, and loving service to neighbor.
ST. JOSEPH'S MINISTRY FAIR
St. Joseph's Needs You! God has blessed everyone with gifts and talents to share with others. Are you hiding all that God has given you? Now is the time to share! Make plans to attend our Minitry Fair on October 25, 2014 and explore things we're doing at St. Joseph's.
VOTER REGISTRATION AND GET OUT THE VOTE
A reminder to Parishioners concerning the General Election coming in November 2014.
- October 5 – last day to register at the DMV or through a registrar
- October 14 – last day to register either on–line or by appearing in person at the County Clerk's office
- October 18 through October 31 – early voting (Elko County Library?)
- October 28 – last day to request an absentee ballot
- November 4 – General Election
- It is important that people recognize the importance of ballot question 2 and 3 and their potential impact to Elko County. Those questions, by themselves, are important enough for people to go vote.
- Elko County has usually had a good voter turnout, but according to the Secretary of State, our turnout in the primary election this year was a dismal 22%.
Lee and Lynne Hoffman will be attending the Masses on Saturday September 27 and Sunday September 28 and will register anyone who would like to register to vote. These are the only two days they will be able to do this, as they will be out of town for the next two weekends after that and it will be to late to register when they return.
The Diocesan synod Publicity Committees message for August 31, 2014:
“The purpose of the diocesan synod is to assist the Bishop in the exercise of the office proper to him, namely, that of governing the Christian community....This is a particular form of that responsibility and concerns all of the faithful in building up the body of Christ...” (Vatican Instruction on Diocesan Synods) Reno Diocesan Synod... coming December 3, 4, 5, 2015.
Prayer for the Synod of Bishops on the Family
“Jesus, Mary and Joseph,
in you we contemplate
the splendor of true love,
to you we turn with trust.
Holy Family of Nazareth, grant that our families too may be places of communion and prayer, authentic schools of the Gospel and small domestic Churches.
Holy Family of Nazareth, may families never again experience violence, rejection and division: may all who have been hurt or scandalized find ready comfort and healing.
Holy Family of Nazareth, may the approaching Synod of Bishops make us once more mindful of the sacredness and inviolability of the family, and its beauty in God's plan.
Jesus, Mary and Joseph, graciously hear our prayer.
Vocations Discernment Group
The office of Vocations for the Diocese of Reno is starting a Discernment Group to aid men discerning a vocation to the priesthood.
OCTOBER 2015 PILGRIMAGE TO THE HOLY LAND AND JORDAN
· I am now finalizing plans for our pilgrimage to the Holy Land and Jordan, in October 2015. The overwhelming majority of you who signed up for further information indicated a preference for the trip to happen in October.
· As soon as the travel brochure is personalized for our parish, I will make copies available to all of you.
· We try to limit the number of pilgrims to around 45 in a 52-seater bus.
· The final cost will include all travel from Salt Lake City or Reno, first class hotels, breakfast and dinner each day, the services of a bus driver and personal tour guide, and the hospitality of the extended Khoury family in Bethlehem. Admission fees to all sites are included.
· Please check that your passport will be valid for the duration of the pilgrimage.
· Renewal of Wedding Vows at Cana, where Jesus turned the water into wine.
· Accommodations are three nights in Amman, Jordan, two nights in Galilee, and five nights in Bethlehem. Daily Mass
Please be sure to put your name on the sign-up sheet at the church entrance in order to receive further information, or call Father Dan at the Church Office, 738-6432.
HAVE YOU PICKED UP YOUR SUNDAY OFFERTORY ENVELOPES?
If you have not done so or are a new parishioner and do not have your Sunday Offertory Envelopes, please call the parish office at 738–6432 for more information and why this is so important. You may also elect to make your Sunday Offeratory and Special 2nd collections using St. Joseph's convenient ONLINE GIVING service. Just click the link at the top or bottom of this page.
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION REGISTRATION
Registration for Kindergarten through Confirmation for the 2014-2015 year begins on June 30. There will be a $10 discount for early registration through July 31. Registration CLOSES on August 31. You must register each year to participate in the program. For further information, please call 775–738–8770.
PARISH ORGANIZATION'S EVENTS
Renocatholicproject.com is a new and very exciting outreach from the Diocese of Reno Faith Formation Office! This new website is:
- meant to act as a formation tool for the diocese as we seek to become connected through social media and internet to our people in northern Nevada
- meant to link our people to national and international news of the church and our faith communities
- a way to respond to online conversations about faith and life
- a new connection for our marginalized Catholics to a new expression of church
Check out the Diocese of Reno Facebook page, too!
ALL BAPTISM CLASSES
Beginning in February 2014, in order to attend Baptism classes, you will need to make an appointment to meet with either Fr. Dan or Fr. Jesus. At that time you will be registered for the Baptism class. There is no charge for the class but you must also be a registered member of the parish. Call the Parish Office at 738–6432 to make an appointment.
The Liturgy of the Word for Children
The Liturgy of the Word for Children is being offered during the Sunday 10am Mass for all children preschool – 2nd grade. We are looking for adult and teen volunteers. If you are interested in helping with this program please contact Paige Allen at 400–3336 or Julie Woodbury at 340–8722.
Protecting God's Children Awareness Class
There will be an Awareness Session offered on September 13, 2014 in Thomas Hall form 9:00am - Noon. This is a program established by the USCCB as part of an ongoing program to protect children, young people and the infirm from sexual abuse. This program is required for anyone with direct contact with children in the parish. This program is also a good tool for parents and grandparents. Please call 738-8770 to register or for further information.-->
The affordable Care Act (Obama-care) provides free genetic testing during pregnancy for conditions that cannot be treated prenatally. This provision will expose more unborn children to abortion as government–funded genetic testing provides an increasing number of parents the opportunity to abort children with disabilities. (Pro–Life Reporter, Spring, 2012)For all in the medical profession, that they may use their skills to heal rather than harm, we pray....
Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
Each Wednesday following the 12:10pm Mass at St. Joseph's Church, we have exposition of the Blessed Sacrament that continues until 8pm. To ensure there is always someone present in the church during this exposition, we would like people to sign up to cover a particular hour during the day and evening. Please call the parish office at 738-6432 if you would wish to cover a particular hour between 1pm and 8pm on Wednesdays.
Register With St. Joseph's Parish
Do you live in Elko, Nevada or surrounding areas and attend St. Joseph's Catholic Church? If so and you are not a registered member of St. Joseph's Parish, register online now! Children 18 years and older even if still living at home need to register as adults as they are not automatically registered even though their parents are.Registration – Married Couples
Registration – Individuals
Directions to St. Joseph's ChurchMap to St. Joseph's
Baptism and Marriage
Baptism – By appointment only. Make appointment with priest or deacon before attending Baptism classes. Must be registered member of parish.
Marriage – Please contact parish office before setting date. Minimum of 6 months advance notice and preparation. Must be registered in parish.
Please call the parish office for more information on baptism and marriage at 775–738–6432.
Altar Server Training
If you are interested in becoming and Altar Server and have made your First Communion, please contact Chris and Cathy Valdez at 777–3047. Individual training will be done in the church by appointment.
If you would like to assist in the Ministry of Lector or Ministry of the Eucharist, please call the Parish Office at 738–6432. A training session for each ministry will be provided. Eucharistic Ministers must be Confirmed and be able to receive Holy Communion.
Protecting God's Children Awareness class is also required for each ministry.
St. Joseph's Website
If you have comments, corrections or would like to have something added to St. Joseph's Website, please contact the Parish Office.